Sunday 6 March 2011

Assumptions

Don't you just love it when someone makes an assumption about you that is just that, an assumption that has no truth what so ever? I love it! Nah, not really lol. I've had it happen recently where someone thought I posted something that was directed towards them. Whatever I post anywhere is stuff that God is speaking to me and dealing with me. I remember at our wedding when our friend Andy was giving the gospel, one of my husbands cousins said he kept looking at her as if he was directing his entire sermon to her. I think we as humans are skeptical and untrusting, I know I am lol. And that goes to prove it! In her mind she was probably convicted but wanted a skapegoat somewhere, so she decided to try to mask her conviction with saying that the preacher was singling her out. It's easy to make assumptions though, we are human afterall. I've done it myself. You read something and you think "They are directing that towards me". I just did it the other day lol. And am learning that I need to stop and think that I need not jump to assumptions, that someone is maybe just saying something and it's maybe not directed towards me. Gotta stop the paranoia lol. And then you get the other side of the coin, you get the fear of saying anything about anything incase someone gets offended, but do you stop speaking what's on your heart for fear of offending folk or that they take it the wrong way? I hope not!

Slight spin off here lol, but I love John the Baptist! He's one of my favorite people in the Bible. He was a wild man, but yet he walked so closely with God. He challenged Herod about his relationship with Herodias his brothers wife. Herodias didn't like John the Baptist trying to get Herod to repent, so she tricked Herod into giving her the head of John the Baptist. John the Baptist was a man of truth. He came bringing the message "repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand". And you can bet that his message made people uncomfortable. Jesus' message made people uncomfortable, they tried stoning Him several times. Paul's message made people uncomfortable, they stoned Him. Truth is bound to make people uncomfortable yet that doesn't mean we should stop preaching it.

Do we stop being ourselves for fear that we are misunderstood? I for one care far too much about what people think about me. It's something that I'm praying God changes in me as I don't want to care what others think of me, especially when it isn't true. All that matters is how God sees me! And I need to rest in that fact. He knows I'm a sinner, He knows I have a black heart, He knows I make umpteen mistakes a day and yet He still loves me and doesn't forsake me. I'm tired of being eaten up by people who don't love me despite my many failings and warts, I'm tired of being eaten up by people who are determined to misunderstand me, I'm tired of being eaten up by other peoples opinions of me. None of it matters, all that matters is how God sees me and that's a truth that I need to let seep into the core of my very being. At the end of the day, people will believe what they want to believe about you, but that doesn't make it the truth. We just need to shake the dust off our feet and keep walking. Again, all that matters is how God sees us!

No comments:

Post a Comment