Friday 12 June 2009

Extended rear-facing

I have been thinking a lot lately about extended rear-facing for children while riding in a car. A friend of mine is an expert when it comes to car seats and she's the first one who told me about the safety of extended rear-facing and the danger with turning your kid forward facing too soon. I watched a video of a kid in america whose mom turned him forward facing at a year old, they got in a accident and the kid broke his neck and has to have one of those neck frame things for the rest of his life. The video was made by the little boys grandparents who said they wished they had known to keep him rear facing as he would not have broken his neck if he was rear facing.

So I began researching rear facing and rear facing carseats. Oddly, Britain doesn't tell you about extended rear-facing which I find highly annoying. The company Britax (which are my favorite carseat brand) make rear facing seats with a 55lb limit in Sweden yet they don't make them for Britain or even mention the danger of turning your kid forward facing too soon. They are supposed to be rear facing until atleast 3yrs old. Micahs current seat is made by Britax and has a rear facing limit of 28lbs! He weighs that now and he's not even 2 yet. They don't even make rear facing carseats in Britain that will do up to 3-4yrs old. So it looks like I'll have to get a Swedish one. And this next baby will be rear facing as long as possible.

Here is a great website about extended rear facing if anyone is interested.
http://www.rearfacing.co.uk/

And here is the link to the video of the little boy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness poor toot! I know I was questioning this but for a totally different reason. My sister in law put her little girl front facing when she turned a year and it made her vomit...Probably just motion sickness. But it was something I was gonna look into. Thanks lady!

    ReplyDelete